Tripartite Agreement Lebanon

The 1985 tripartite agreement (in Arabic) was a short-lived agreement between the three major Lebanese quarrels, signed in Damascus, Syria, to end the Lebanese civil war. The agreement allowed a Syrian military peacekeeping presence in Lebanon to separate the factions and gave Syria a strong influence on Lebanese affairs. The tripartite group is a proven mechanism for reaching all the worst parties, and I ask you to continue to engage on sensitive issues through UNIFIL. He also stressed the importance of the blueline labelling process: “I consider the Blue Line to be one of the most important instruments of confidence at our disposal and I call for every effort to be made to give new impetus to the process.” The United States welcomes the decision of the Israeli and Lebanese governments to begin talks on the maritime border. This historic agreement between the two sides was negotiated by the United States and is the result of an intense diplomatic engagement of nearly three years by Ambassador David Satterfield and Assistant Secretary David Schenker. The dispute between Samir Geagea and Elie Hobeika over the control of the Lebanese Armed Forces (LF) had already begun in March 1985. That same month, Samir Geagea took control of the LF after defeating the last leader of the Phalangist militia, Fouad Abou Nader. However, in May of the same year, Elie Hobeika was in charge of the management of this unit. In December 1985, Hobeika signed an agreement on behalf of the FF with the Syrian government, the Druze-Progressive Socialist Party (PSP) under Walid Jumblatt and the Shiite Muslim movement Amal led by Nabih Berri, known as the Tripartite Agreement.

One of the cornerstones of the agreement was the dissolution of the Lebanese militias. It also called for political changes that would end the Christian domination of the Lebanese parliament and the Lebanese army. [3] In October 1985, while negotiations were underway, skirmishes broke out between Geagea`s supporters and Hobeika`s supporters, where Hobeika`s supporters tried to bribe Geagea`s supporters to betray Geagea. A peace agreement, the tripartite agreement, was reached in December 1985. It was signed by Hobeika for the SAU, but the LF command board was divided and only half accepted the agreement. In addition, the agreement was criticized by former Lebanese President Camille Chamoun and the leader of the mainly Christian-Maronite Liberal Party (NLP) and by some Maronite church leaders, who believed that the agreement was unilaterally favouring Lebanon`s Muslim communities. Samir Geagea and President Amine Gemayel decided not to accept the agreement, because on 8 January 1986, the GEagea FF attacked the positions of LF loyalists in eastern Beirut and was supported by the 9th Brigade of the Lebanese Army. [4] On 13 January, his faction exacerbated the conflict to greatly expand Hobeika`s power by attacking the positions of the Kataeb party, loyal to Amine Gemayel.